Monday 8 August 2011

(9) Making t' Sail

Having blown my mind on glass-fibre juice and day after day of rainrain n' more rain, I decided to make a start on the sail.
I hunted around for 5.5 Tan Dacron and after finding it's over £15 a metre, getting it for less than £4 a metre through E-Bay made my day... I used the PJR and the standard Haslar type design.. its simple with parallel luff n' leach's, same size battens etc etc so very simple... size? from looking at similar size boats it seems that the average was about the 260 - 270 sq ft with a maximum of about 300... I opted for about 265... but having chundered on about this in earlier blogs I will just show some pictures!!!
First make a 5mr long table... with sewing machine built in ...


The panels are fixed together with double sided tape and rolled up so they can fit through the throat of the sewing machine


Sewing..the pegs are handy to keep the rolls together

The seams are all zigzag with polystyrene 80 upholstery grade thread.. I found that leather needles were great allowing up to 4 layers to be sewed together... the only problem was the weight and size prevented the sewing machine foot to feed the cloth evenly... remedy? don't look too closely: they are less than perfect!!
Sail completed and eyelets added for lashing on the battens...I discarded using batten pockets, apparently they are a pain to sew on and wear very quickly. I used 1/4" eyelets for the battens and 1/2" for the tacks etc.. each batten has a layer of 1" polyester (red) webbing on the sail tp prevent wear etc

No comments:

Post a Comment