Wednesday 10 August 2011

(10) Fitting the mast

Rain stopped so back to the boat...  Fitting the mast time...
In the design, the mast needed raking astern. Although the wooden wedges between the mast and partner would allow some adjustment, I needed to make sure the position of the step and partner was near as possible.....

Step 1: make sure the boat is level...

I thought easy... make sure the white painted line between the top side and anti-fouling is level (I have always called this the boot strap, but I may be wrong?)... if so, everything should be OK...
I measured around and jacked up the boat. checked iit with a spirit level and it still was'nt bloody right... sod it...so I gave up and went home. .....
About 2am I woke up and thought "You-reek-a" and found that the dog had farted.... that was supposed to be a joke... sorry.... anyway....
I had an inspired thought:  For ages I have kept on meaning to move the fuel tank cos the boat leans to the starboard .. the result is that the water line is not level whem compared to the deck lineso the line aint level... nuptie or wot?!!
Answer: make a jig on the deck and then play around with jacking up the trailer with chocks etc and when that is level.. bingo! it worked...




Step 2. Make sure the deck partner and step are line up. I worked out where the mast should be, drilled a small hole, lined up the step... YES! Just to be sure I left the bolts loose on the step.












(3) Mark out where the partner will go









Cut the hole










Step 5. Check the rake is about right etc.... I had another idea: why not use a plastic drain soil-pipe (its about the right diameter)... a wiggle here there...seems OK!

Step 6. Glass in the partner. This was made from some left-over pieces of angled stainless steel and a bow roller that I had butchered for another gizzie, I made a GRP mould of the foot of the mast, mounted on marine ply and liberally slapped over with GRP woven rovings... Artie (my wife) says it would make a great wishing well for the garden (problem: no Gnome to go with it?) ... anyway this is what it looks like and for the finished product see below my loverlies...














Then leave it all with the pipe sticking out of the coach-roof and a  bin bag over it, because the bloody sky has opened up again.... Noah where are yer when I wants yer...

3 days later I returned to the scene of the crime to be greeted by a club member, JImmy  (name changed to protect the stupid) who asked:
"Are you fitting a wood burner, Chris Mate? they are Andy in Winter, mate innit through etc etc"..
 I could'nt resist it...
"Oh Yes, Jimmy, and the stack is adjustable too! you know, to improve the updraft in calm weather"
"Oooooo thats a good idea, mooosh, I would;nt have thought of that, my old cocker.." (bloodyidiot)
With that I went inside and with much gusto, joggled the soil-pipe up and down and side to side...
"Is it working Jimmy, mate??"
"Yeeeah.. I can see it moving: its really effective innit (Cooo look at that Bill, it's moving) etc etc"
Yes ... hmmmmm... say no more... this proves the rule: there is always someone at the back of the line when the brains were handed out... I had to laugh ha ha ha (yawn)... anyway.. where was I......

Step 7. Attach all the mast head running rigging, wire up the shackles smack on the aerial and navigation lights..and make sure you trim the cable tie .... I forgot... but I'm quite pleased as this is now my ingenious device for measuring the wind strength (well thats my excuse?!)
This caused me a bit of head scratching cos I could not get the damn wires to go through the inside of the damn mast... damn blast it, this thing is damn well blocked oh heck (or words to that effect)...
time to give up go home mister! then....
Flash...Another 2 am "senior" (senile?) moment........there must be packing inside the mast to stop the wires from clanging about.......
Yep, there was a line running through the mast with chunks of foam rubber tied on every 2 -3 ft... each piece slightly smaller as it neared to the top of the mast...what a really good idea!
but what I could'nt understand is why some burke then filled the damn void spaces with chips of vermiculite too (what a bloody mess) also some furry (or feathery) thing had made a nest in there too... its all go with yer junk-rigs innit, eh!!


















Step 8 Lift in the mast... we are lucky to have a dedicatted mast lifting jig that fits the club's old tractor....this is a real museum piece, it was a airplane towing tractor from a 2nd world war american aircraft carrier, its had 4 engines and still going... well just, the engine is on its last legs it belches smoke n' rattles like a good un (awaiting engine no5!)... but back to the plot....
The only problem with a tapered un-stayed mast is there is nowhere to get a decent purchace...
in the end we made a sort of cradle by passing a rope through the bolt hole at the base (i.e where the mast is bolted to the step) with a few nifty knots, add Bernie-the-bosun, my brother Dave and 4 -5 willing members, a bit judicial F'ing and blindin' and bingo its there.

Step 9, Make sure it's all lined up and straight...
a simple way to do this is to use the halliard with a weight on it to make a plumb line...
this must be accompanied by 10 or so hangers-on making astute remarks like
"That Chris boy is swinging the lead again ho ho "
"Ear eeee's all about that rummer in-neee arghh-ah-ah-ha, Captm Jack" (yes Pirates of the Carra-been was cast from our memers!!)
"where's the bleedin' chimney gorne ?"
 "where's you chineese coolie 'at then moosh...It'll never work, Sid, put on the kettle ect etc.."
All very helpful but a little trying at times?!!


















Step 10, Tap in the temporary wedges,  glass in the step, I know this lookes wrong but it will be OK , the final wedges will be made-to-fit, the distance between the top of the partnes and the bottom sheet (inside) is over 5" so...pinkies crossed.. all will be right on the night....

Temporary wedges

Drop the fibre glass cover in place with rubber gaiter...



Now admire the result from inside... note the glassed-in step (bolted into the deck)




Outside...



Admiring the sun setting after a busy day at the Portsmouth Harbour Cruising Association....

By Artie Vossel-Newman


Gypsy the dog's vote of approval ??










2 comments:

  1. How did you reinforce for the mast step? I'm hoping to convert my own boat from a bermuda rig, but I'm worried about the mast poking out the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your Blog ,yesterday Bobtail was offered to me in a part X offer for my Westerly Nomad. Quiet a project and unique to see a Junk Sale on her but under power how does perform I am not a good sailor and struggle solo with my Westerly really I am looking more for a Motor Boat with Sailing option The Westerly work for me but I need more of a motor sailor than a sail boat with a motor. Great job you really know that boat and advise. Thank you Jeremy

    ReplyDelete